Thank you for your interest in our grants program. Each year, Finlandia Foundation National awards funds to projects related to Finnish-American and Finnish history, heritage, preservation, arts and culture.
The current application deadline for grants is January 17, 2024.
Read about recent grant recipients in our Spring Newsletters.
Grant Story: National Nordic Museum
A 2021 grant from FFN assisted the National Nordic Museum in Seattle in hosting the exhibition, Among Forests and Lakes: Landscape Masterpieces from the Finnish National Gallery. In it, over 50 paintings and prints from the Ateneum Art Museum examined how Finnish artists have depicted the landscape of their native country from the 1850s until the present day. Photo courtesy Finnish National Gallery
The grant application must be submitted with required support documents by 11:59 P.M. PST on January 17, 2024.
- Grant recipients must agree to deliver a progress report at six months and a final report within one year of the grant being awarded.
- Unused funds must be returned.
- FFN does not support institutional overhead or other administrative fees.
Requirements and Criteria
Grant proposal must relate to a project occurring between May 1 of the grant year and April 30 of the following year.
Grant proposal should be supported by a chapter of FFN.
Grant application must not exceed 10 pages. Any application exceeding that maximum will be disqualified.
Do not send physical multimedia (DVDs, CDs, etc.), books, tapes, or other material.
- Receives favorable attention and has a high profile and visibility
- Will be experienced by many people
- Appeals to all Americans, not only ethnic Finns
- Involves worthy activity for children and young adults to assure an interest in Finnish and Finnish-American culture by future generations
- Has multiplier or leverage qualities
- Can be replicated or become a permanent addition to the cultural life of a community
- Is well planned and implemented by individuals or groups
- Involves service of volunteers
- Has a detailed budget, income and expenses
- Adds to the body of research about Finnish and Finnish-American culture
- If applicable, includes a marketing plan for a project that involves sales of items or event tickets