FINLANDIA FOUNDATION NATIONAL ESTABLISHED ITS FIRST SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM IN THE 1950S, WITH AWARDS TO STUDENTS ATTENDING MUSIC INSTITUTIONS INCLUDING THE SIBELIUS ACADEMY AND JUILLIARD SCHOOL.
The scholarship tradition continues. Full-time undergraduate and graduate students of all academic disciplines who are currently enrolled in accredited post-secondary schools in the United States and Finland are eligible for FFN scholarships.
In addition, the FFN administers the P.J.C. Lindfors Legal Scholarship.
Thank you for your interest. The application period for the 2014 awards has closed.
For your future information: The application for the 2015 awards must be submitted with required support documents and postmarked by February 1, 2015.
Applications are evaluated in the spring and awarded for the following fall or spring term. Letters notifying applicants of their status will be mailed in mid-April.
Scholarship candidates must be freshmen or have completed freshman year and show evidence of continuing to the sophomore level or higher prior to receiving the award. Applicants must have maintained a 3.0 GPA.
The FFN Scholarship Committee considers the following:
- U.S. or Finnish citizenship is required
- applicants of Finnish-American heritage are given primary consideration
- course of study
- students studying subjects related to Finnish culture receive special consideration
Relatives of members of the FFN board of directors are not eligible for scholarship funds.
The number of scholarships awarded is determined by the available funds in any given year.
A total of $30,000 is awarded to students each year; scholarships range from $1,000 to $3,000 per student.
Complete and submit the application online.
Required documents include all college/university transcripts and two letters of recommendation on letterhead; one letter must be from a college/university professor.
These documents must be postmarked by February 1.
- It is not necessary to use overnight delivery service.
- Delivery confirmation (tracking) and signature confirmation are highly recommended.
- Please email the office to confirm that the materials were mailed by the deadline (office @ finlandiafoundation.org).
Students can additionally search Cappex Scholarships for other scholarships.